44How can you believe, when you accept glory from one another and you do not seek the glory that is from the one and only God?
44How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only?
Why do people refuse to believe in Jesus? What stops someone from looking to Him for hope? In this sermon on John 5:44 titled “The Condition of Man,” Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones takes a third look at John 5:44 and unfolds the root cause of unbelief. Considering this verse and the whole of Scripture, the answer is sin. Like a festering cancer in the body, sin renders one spiritually dead and unable to believe. In the flow of John 5, the Jews become a perfect illustration of this destructive reality. Jesus has framed the condition of humanity in the context of the seeking of honor. No one can believe because they seek their own honor, not the honor that comes from God. The heart is blinded by sin. While affirming this truth, Scripture also declares that sin renders all as fools. They are fools in that they proclaim that there is no God. Sin corrupts the ability to reason, encourages longing for the hedonist experience, and causes the worship of self. In seeking their own honor, the Jews are made fools blinded by sin and unable to believe. Thus, sin is the disease that blinds and paralyzes against belief. In this sermon, Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones explains and unlocks the remedy to the disease of sin.
- Sin makes men foolish. Men refuse to face facts, think clearly, and are governed by desires.
- This foolishness manifests itself in putting men before God. This leads to an overestimate of men and ignorance of God.
- The honors that come from men are essentially a sham, trivial, decaying, and capricious. The honors from God are eternal and unchanging.
- To know God is eternal life. Christians have the honor of being known by God, adopted as his children, and given access to him.
- Seeking the honors of men means setting time before eternity and rejecting God's free gift. This is the height of foolishness.
The Book of John
Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones
Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones (1899-1981) was a Welsh evangelical minister who preached and taught in the Reformed tradition. His principal ministry was at Westminster Chapel, in central London, from 1939-1968, where he delivered multi-year expositions on books of the bible such as Romans, Ephesians and the Gospel of John. In addition to the MLJ Trust’s collection of 1,600 of these sermons in audio format, most of these great sermon series are available in book form (including a 14 volume collection of the Romans sermons), as are other series such as "Spiritual Depression", "Studies in the Sermon on the Mount" and "Great Biblical Doctrines". He is considered by many evangelical leaders today to be an authority on biblical truth and the sufficiency of Scripture.