33But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be provided to you.
33But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
In this age of anxiety, does the Christian gospel offer a distinct message? Is the Christian life a different way of looking at the world? In this sermon on Matthew 6:33 titled “Right Priorities,” Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones argues that humanity’s trouble in life is due to a false view of the world. In this way, the Lord Jesus Christ offers Christians an entirely different way of understanding the world around them. The Christian does not think like the Gentiles do. Instead, they have different priorities. The Lord teaches that while food, drink, and clothing are essential to being human, these things are not the priority in the Christian life. Rather than having fear, worry, and anxiety about such things, the Christian life is marked by their relationship to God and His kingdom. The Christian seeks after the kingdom of God and His righteousness rather than material goods. But how does one obtain the righteousness of God? How do they become heirs of God’s kingdom? Listen as Dr. Lloyd-Jones lifts the mind to consider the right priorities in life and how sinners can actually obtain such eternal joy.
- Christianity is utterly different and unique from all other religions and philosophies. It comes as a challenge to our natural assumptions and beliefs.
- The root cause of all human troubles and problems is that people have a false view of life and wrong priorities. They live as if they were merely physical beings.
- People's chief needs are to gain the right view of life and priorities. We must see ourselves as spiritual beings made in God's image, and live in light of our relationship with and dependence on God.
- The right priorities are the kingdom of God and his righteousness. This means recognizing God as creator and ruler, and his coming judgment of the world in righteousness.
- These right priorities are obtained by seeking them urgently and diligently. But we will find we cannot achieve them in our own strength. We must come to Christ, who alone can give us his righteousness.
- Those who seek first God's kingdom and righteousness will find soul rest, peace with God, assurance of salvation, and adoption into God's family. Material blessings will be added as well, though with a new perspective.
- Life in this world becomes a pilgrimage, with heaven as our true home. We live as strangers and sojourners, finding our satisfaction in God alone.
Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones
Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones (1899-1981) was a Welsh evangelical minister who preached and taught in the Reformed tradition. His principal ministry was at Westminster Chapel, in central London, from 1939-1968, where he delivered multi-year expositions on books of the bible such as Romans, Ephesians and the Gospel of John. In addition to the MLJ Trust’s collection of 1,600 of these sermons in audio format, most of these great sermon series are available in book form (including a 14 volume collection of the Romans sermons), as are other series such as "Spiritual Depression", "Studies in the Sermon on the Mount" and "Great Biblical Doctrines". He is considered by many evangelical leaders today to be an authority on biblical truth and the sufficiency of Scripture.