Under the Power of the Spirit
A Sermon on 2 Corinthians 4:1-7
Do you know the power of the Holy Spirit and what it means to walk according to the Spirit rather than the flesh? This is the all-important question that Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones asks in this sermon on 2 Corinthians 4:1-7. He says that the Holy Spirit is what enables all believers to live a life that pursues Christ Jesus and holiness. It is the Spirit that breathes new life into unbelievers, making them new creations in Christ. It was the Holy Spirit that transformed the first Christians from fearful disciples of Jesus into bold preachers of His death and resurrection. Sadly, many men and women live a life devoid of the power of the Holy Spirit. They live a life of lust and passion for what is unholy and profane. They do not care about their souls, but only the temporary pleasures of this world. This life of the flesh leads only to death and destruction in hell. In contrast, the life in the Spirit leads to forgiveness in Christ and eternal life in His presence. Those that believe in Christ Jesus are forgiven from all sin and judgment, and are made children of God in the power of the Spirit.
- The apostle Paul is concerned that the Corinthians realize he is not seeking personal popularity or following. He hates that.
- Paul's method is not to handle the word of God deceitfully but to manifest the truth and commend himself to every man's conscience while preaching in God's sight.
- Paul gives reasons for preaching as he does: the glory of Christ, the glory of God, men's desperate need and condition, and the power inherent in the Gospel.
- The Gospel's power proves its divine origin. The power enabled uneducated men to understand, expound and preach with authority, leading to conversions.
- The Gospel's power divides people into two groups: those to whom it is hidden and those to whom it is revealed.
- Have you known the Gospel's power? If not, you do not know the Gospel. The power takes you up; it is not something you take up.
- Tests of knowing the power: Is your soul your main concern? Do you realize you are lost without God? Have you stopped seeking human wisdom and turned to Christ alone? Are you following Him, denying yourself and taking up your cross? Is He your all in all?
- The power enlightens, opens eyes, gives understanding and leads to truth. It convicts, converts, leads to Christ, establishes in truth and perfects.
- No one can make you a Christian. Only God's power can, through the Holy Spirit. Have you felt the power?
Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones
Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones (1899-1981) was a Welsh evangelical minister who preached and taught in the Reformed tradition. His principal ministry was at Westminster Chapel, in central London, from 1939-1968, where he delivered multi-year expositions on books of the bible such as Romans, Ephesians and the Gospel of John. In addition to the MLJ Trust’s collection of 1,600 of these sermons in audio format, most of these great sermon series are available in book form (including a 14 volume collection of the Romans sermons), as are other series such as "Spiritual Depression", "Studies in the Sermon on the Mount" and "Great Biblical Doctrines". He is considered by many evangelical leaders today to be an authority on biblical truth and the sufficiency of Scripture.