Breadth; Length; Depth; Height
A Sermon on Ephesians 3:18-19
18may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and height and depth, 19and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled to all the fullness of God.
18May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; 19And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.
The biblical view of God’s love is not simply sentimental, but it shows His love as deep and abiding. In this sermon on Ephesians 3:18–19 titled “Breadth, Length, Depth, Height,” Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones explains how this love was proven when God sent His Son to die on the cross for sinners. It is this love that is a part of His eternal nature as God. Christians should always look to the love of God in all places of life, for it is the greatest comfort and hope that they have in this life. When one looks at His love, they see their Father who cares for them, who redeemed them through his Son, and made them holy by His sacrifice. This knowledge of Christ’s love is far more than intellectual apprehension, because it is an experience of His abiding love for believers. This experience, says Dr. Lloyd-Jones, is not something that only the greatest Christians can experience, nor is it reserved to preachers and pastors. All believers should experience the depth and breadth of God’s love for them in Christ Jesus. This great truth is an anchor for all in times of suffering and depression, and it is this truth in which all Christians can put their hope and trust.
- The apostle Paul prays for the Ephesians to know the love of Christ.
- Knowing Christ's love is the highest knowledge we can attain.
- Christ's love is vast and immeasurable, as expressed in the dimensions of breadth, length, depth and height.
- The breadth of Christ's love refers to its vast scope - it extends to people of every nation, tribe and tongue. We will be amazed by the breadth of those Christ has redeemed.
- The length of Christ's love refers to its eternal and endless character. It began in eternity past, continues in the present and goes on into eternity future. It is constant and unchanging.
- The depth of Christ's love refers to the depths Christ descended to in order to save us, and the depths of our sin and unworthiness when he saved us. Christ endured the cross to save us while we were still sinners.
- The height of Christ's love refers to the glorious heights Christ will raise us up to - forgiveness, new birth, sonship, glorification of our bodies, beholding his glory. Christ will make us perfect, without spot or wrinkle.
- We must meditate on and contemplate the love of Christ to overcome discouragement, depression and doubt. Knowing Christ's love for us will transform us.
The Book of Ephesians
Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones
Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones (1899-1981) was a Welsh evangelical minister who preached and taught in the Reformed tradition. His principal ministry was at Westminster Chapel, in central London, from 1939-1968, where he delivered multi-year expositions on books of the bible such as Romans, Ephesians and the Gospel of John. In addition to the MLJ Trust’s collection of 1,600 of these sermons in audio format, most of these great sermon series are available in book form (including a 14 volume collection of the Romans sermons), as are other series such as "Spiritual Depression", "Studies in the Sermon on the Mount" and "Great Biblical Doctrines". He is considered by many evangelical leaders today to be an authority on biblical truth and the sufficiency of Scripture.