Hope for the World
A Sermon on Ephesians 3:9-11
9and to enlighten all people as to what the plan of the mystery is which for ages has been hidden in God, who created all things; 10so that the multifaceted wisdom of God might now be made known through the church to the rulers and the authorities in …
9And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ: 10To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known …
Is there hope for the world? Is there a purpose and plan for the Christian? In this sermon on Ephesians 3:9–11 titled “Hope for the World,” Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones addresses the question of hope amidst the seeming chaos and pointlessness of life on earth. The only hope is in the gospel of Jesus Christ. In the darkness of the world and in the minds of men and women, Christ is the light of the world. The world is God’s creation and He has had a plan and purpose for His creation since before the foundations of the earth were formed. This plan is revealed in God’s word, the Bible. The ultimate hope that is found in Christ does not, however, mean that the end of war, evil, and darkness will end in this age. The end of these things will come with the return of Christ. Rather, the Christian’s hope is the hope of salvation in Christ that points to the eternal home and reward, not a temporary peace in the circumstances of humanity.
- The sermon is focused on Ephesians 3:9-11 which discusses God's eternal purpose and plan.
- The world is currently in a state of darkness and confusion regarding life and current events. There is no clarity from secular sources.
- The only source of light and understanding is the Gospel. The Christian church has the only message that can provide insight.
- God has had a perfect plan and purpose for the world since before the beginning of time. This plan has been hidden from both man and angels until now.
- God's plan is to restore the world to perfection through Jesus Christ and the church. This will culminate in the return of Christ.
- God's plan cannot be stopped by any being or force. He will accomplish His purpose as the creator of all things.
- God's plan does not provide details about specific world events and nations. It is focused on the big picture.
- There is no hope for permanent world peace until Christ returns. As long as sin exists, there will be conflict.
- The message of God's sovereign plan may not seem comforting but it is the only truth. All other messages are false comfort.
- Those who reject God's plan because it does not suit them will face judgment. God's plan includes all and cannot be opted out of.
- We can find hope knowing God is in control and His plan is unfolding, even through us as members of the body of Christ.
The Book of Ephesians
Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones
Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones (1899-1981) was a Welsh evangelical minister who preached and taught in the Reformed tradition. His principal ministry was at Westminster Chapel, in central London, from 1939-1968, where he delivered multi-year expositions on books of the bible such as Romans, Ephesians and the Gospel of John. In addition to the MLJ Trust’s collection of 1,600 of these sermons in audio format, most of these great sermon series are available in book form (including a 14 volume collection of the Romans sermons), as are other series such as "Spiritual Depression", "Studies in the Sermon on the Mount" and "Great Biblical Doctrines". He is considered by many evangelical leaders today to be an authority on biblical truth and the sufficiency of Scripture.