The Bride's Privileges
A Sermon on Ephesians 5:25-33
25Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her, 26so that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, 27that He might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having …
25Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; 26That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, 27That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or …
By the life, death, and resurrection of Christ Jesus, the church has been redeemed from sin and cleansed from all unrighteousness. In this sermon on Ephesians 5:25–33 titled “The Bride’s Privileges,” Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones preaches that the bride of Christ comes to enjoy all the benefits and blessings that He brings. They are accepted before God the Father on the basis of who Christ is and their belief in Him. This is one of the most central truths to understand in the Christian life. In it is seen that the church has been seated with Christ in the heavenly places and delivered from this present evil age. Not only are Christians justified by Christ but the church, and therefore all believers, have true and lasting fellowship with Him. This is a great comfort for Christians who struggle and suffer in this world. As Dr. Lloyd-Jones describes, Christians can turn and look to Christ knowing that He loves and cares for them as deeply as a husband loves his bride. Christ in His love for His church also gives an example for all husbands for what it looks like to love their wives wholly and completely. It is Christ’s love of the church that should model for all Christians what true love looks like.
- Christ bestows his life upon the church. The church shares in Christ's life.
- Christ bestows his name upon the church. The church takes on Christ's name and is called Christian.
- The church shares in Christ's dignity and standing. The church shares in Christ's position and glory.
- The church shares in Christ's privileges like access to the Father and the Father's love.
- The church shares in Christ's possessions and inheritance. All things belong to the church.
- The church shares in Christ's interests, plans and purposes. The church is Christ's co-worker.
- Christ shares his servants, the angels, with the church. The angels minister to the church.
- The church shares in Christ's problems, troubles and sufferings. The church shares in Christ's agony.
- The church shares in Christ's glory and prospects. The church will share in Christ's glory in eternity.
The Book of Ephesians
Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones
Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones (1899-1981) was a Welsh evangelical minister who preached and taught in the Reformed tradition. His principal ministry was at Westminster Chapel, in central London, from 1939-1968, where he delivered multi-year expositions on books of the bible such as Romans, Ephesians and the Gospel of John. In addition to the MLJ Trust’s collection of 1,600 of these sermons in audio format, most of these great sermon series are available in book form (including a 14 volume collection of the Romans sermons), as are other series such as "Spiritual Depression", "Studies in the Sermon on the Mount" and "Great Biblical Doctrines". He is considered by many evangelical leaders today to be an authority on biblical truth and the sufficiency of Scripture.