The Riches of His Grace
A Sermon on Ephesians 1:7
7In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our wrongdoings, according to the riches of His grace
7In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;
How can the apostle Paul be so exuberant in praise about the grace of God? Why is the grace of God something the apostle constantly writes about? It is because he knew the grace of God; he experienced it and it led to his worship and praise. In this sermon on Ephesians 1:7 titled “The Riches of His Grace,” Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones expounds Paul’s words on the riches of God’s grace. By better understanding God’s grace one gets a glimpse into the very character of God. In the riches of God’s grace they see that He gives fully, freely, and abundantly. It can be no other way. He must give grace liberally because of who He is. Pastorally, Dr. Lloyd-Jones applies God’s grace to the Christian by highlighting their desperate need for it. Thankfully, His grace is sufficient for all needs. Millions have drunk from it, yet it is still bubbling up, offering assurance for all who come and drink from it. The gracious and good news of the gospel is the free and full forgiveness for those who are in Christ Jesus according to the riches of God’s grace.
- The apostle Paul emphasizes the riches of God's grace in Ephesians 1:7.
- Grace is one of the manifestations of God's glory. Grace is what makes salvation possible.
- We can measure the riches of God's grace by considering the immense price paid for it - the blood of Jesus Christ.
- God gives us these riches in an abundant, lavish way. Not because we asked for it or deserved it, but because of His grace.
- The riches of God's grace are inexhaustible, boundless, and all-sufficient. They meet all of our needs.
- The riches of God's grace include:
- Free and full forgiveness of sins
- Complete reconciliation with God
- Assurance of salvation
- Adoption as God's children
- The indwelling of the Holy Spirit
- Access to God through prayer
- Christ dwelling in our hearts through faith
- The fullness of God
- Provision of spiritual armor to fight spiritual battles
Eternal life with God after death
We must receive these riches by faith, like the prodigal son returning to the father. We can enjoy them now and for eternity.
The Book of Ephesians
Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones
Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones (1899-1981) was a Welsh evangelical minister who preached and taught in the Reformed tradition. His principal ministry was at Westminster Chapel, in central London, from 1939-1968, where he delivered multi-year expositions on books of the bible such as Romans, Ephesians and the Gospel of John. In addition to the MLJ Trust’s collection of 1,600 of these sermons in audio format, most of these great sermon series are available in book form (including a 14 volume collection of the Romans sermons), as are other series such as "Spiritual Depression", "Studies in the Sermon on the Mount" and "Great Biblical Doctrines". He is considered by many evangelical leaders today to be an authority on biblical truth and the sufficiency of Scripture.