Why Do the Heathen Rage?
A Sermon on Psalms 2:1-12
The Reign of the Lord’s Anointed.
1Why are the nations restless
And the peoples plotting in vain?
2The kings of the earth take their stand
And the rulers conspire together
Against the Lord and against His Anointed, saying,
3“Let’s tear their …
1Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing?
2The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, saying,
3Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from …
In this sermon on Psalm 2, you will learn that Scripture always speaks to the precise position in which we each find ourselves today. Realize first, that in and of ourselves, we can do nothing. We must pray to God that He might pour out His Spirit in a manner that it might be irresistible. Listen as Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones explains how the second Psalm describes our present position. Are you astonished at the state of the world? This is a state of organized insanity and confusion. “Pride of man and earthly glory, sword and crown betray its trust, what with care and trial he buildeth, tower and temple fall to dust.” In this modern world, we must go back and read the instructions from our Maker – otherwise, there is no hope. The cause of our troubles and unhappiness is due to man’s sin. This is not simply weakness in human nature, it is a willful act and hatred against God. God looks upon mankind in wrath as man opposes both His Law and love. Love manifested in the death of His own Son. God's final appeal is to be wise, serving Him with fear, and rejoicing with trembling. The modern man needs reverent preaching, not shallow entertainment. Look at God's offer of salvation!
- The world is in a state of raging and violence. Society is breaking down and in turmoil.
- Leaders and rulers are devising futile schemes to fix the problems but nothing is working.
- The root cause of the world's problems is man's sin and rebellion against God. Man rejects God's laws and commandments.
- Man's rejection of God is foolish and absurd. God is the all-powerful creator who sits in the heavens. He will judge man's sin.
- God offered his love through Jesus Christ but man rejects and spurns this offer of salvation. This is the greatest tragedy.
- We must warn people about God's coming wrath and judgment. We must call them to be wise, to think, and to turn to God.
- We must call people to serve God with fear, to rejoice with trembling, and to kiss the Son in allegiance and submission.
- If people do not turn to God, they will perish when his wrath is fully kindled. We are already seeing his wrath kindled a little.
- The church must preach this message, not entertain people. We must plead with people to escape God's wrath through Jesus Christ.
- Those who trust in Christ will be blessed and have eternal life in heaven.
Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones
Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones (1899-1981) was a Welsh evangelical minister who preached and taught in the Reformed tradition. His principal ministry was at Westminster Chapel, in central London, from 1939-1968, where he delivered multi-year expositions on books of the bible such as Romans, Ephesians and the Gospel of John. In addition to the MLJ Trust’s collection of 1,600 of these sermons in audio format, most of these great sermon series are available in book form (including a 14 volume collection of the Romans sermons), as are other series such as "Spiritual Depression", "Studies in the Sermon on the Mount" and "Great Biblical Doctrines". He is considered by many evangelical leaders today to be an authority on biblical truth and the sufficiency of Scripture.