A Full Assurance of Understanding
A Sermon on Full Assurance of Understanding from Colossians 2:1-3
You Are Built Up in Christ
1For I want you to know how great a struggle I have in your behalf and for those who are at Laodicea, and for all those who have not personally seen my face, 2that their hearts may be encouraged, having been knit …
1For I would that ye knew what great conflict I have for you, and for them at Laodicea, and for as many as have not seen my face in the flesh; 2That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the …
In this sermon on Colossians 2:1–3 titled “A Full Assurance of Understanding,” Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones focused on Paul encouraging and advising the church in Colossae. He explains that the church in Colossae was early in its development, and many of the members had not even met the apostle. And like many new believers, they were susceptible to corruption. Paul writes to the church that they may have the full riches of understanding Christ. Part of the reason new believers are so corruptible is because they don’t understand the full power of Christ. A common cult at the time was Gnosticism. Dr. Lloyd-Jones explains that the cult’s teaching required multiple intermediaries between individuals and God. A fully-grown Christian knows this to be false, for Christ is the sole high priest who speaks on their behalf. Dr. Lloyd-Jones also points out that understanding Christ means to also understand His purpose for the world. Christ came to redeem the world and to bring His church to Himself. Without Christ at the center of one’s worldview, Dr. Lloyd-Jones concludes, the world is hopelessly unredeemable. However, in Christ, there is hope for the coming everlasting rule and love of the Lord.
- The apostle Paul expresses grave concern for the Colossians in Colossians 2:1-3. He wants their hearts to be comforted and strengthened.
- Paul's concern stems from false teachers threatening the church with a false gospel. These false teachers claimed special knowledge and propagated asceticism, philosophy, and astrology.
- Many Christians are prone to listen to false gospels because they are unhappy or have an incomplete view of Christian salvation. The solution is gaining full assurance of understanding through knowing Christ.
- Full assurance of understanding means having a deep knowledge of the truth and ability to distinguish truth from falsehood. This comes from studying Scripture and Christ.
- Christ is the only way to truly know God. No one has seen God, but Christ has revealed Him. Christ is the only mediator between God and man.
- Christ is the only way to understand God's purpose and plan for the world. He created and sustains all things. He defeated sin and the devil through His death and resurrection.
- God's plan of redemption was promised in Genesis 3:15, worked out through Israel, and accomplished through Christ. Christ builds His church of Jews and Gentiles. Christ will restore all things.
- We can only understand God's ways towards us through Christ. We are disciplined because God loves us and wants us to be holy. We share in Christ's sufferings.
- Christ is the only source of enjoyment and certainty. All riches and treasures are found in Him. He meets all our needs.
- We must know Christ in all His fullness. We are complete in Him. He is all we need.
Sermons on Knowledge
Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones
Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones (1899-1981) was a Welsh evangelical minister who preached and taught in the Reformed tradition. His principal ministry was at Westminster Chapel, in central London, from 1939-1968, where he delivered multi-year expositions on books of the bible such as Romans, Ephesians and the Gospel of John. In addition to the MLJ Trust’s collection of 1,600 of these sermons in audio format, most of these great sermon series are available in book form (including a 14 volume collection of the Romans sermons), as are other series such as "Spiritual Depression", "Studies in the Sermon on the Mount" and "Great Biblical Doctrines". He is considered by many evangelical leaders today to be an authority on biblical truth and the sufficiency of Scripture.